The ramblings of a Californian, living in Nashville, going to Art School, looking towards the big city...

Friday, March 13, 2009

Headed to New York

I leave Monday for New York City, I'll be there for a week, half with my school and half on my own, it's honestly rather a surreal feeling going back. For those of you who don't know, I lived in New York for about two and a half months a few years back. I was interning with Ryann Cooley I left my internship early for a myriad of personal reasons and I still regret the way that whole experience ended. I do to some extent feel like I threw away a golden opportunity because of youthful ignorance. But, I know things will work out in the end, according to a greater plan, and for the best.

I have a very surreal memory of leaving the city. I was staying at the St. George in Brooklyn which is a dorm complex in Brooklyn Heights, and when I left a super shuttle picked me up there and took me to La Guardia. That entire ride the driver was listening to disco on the radio as we made our stops and picked up the passengers. I'll just never forget zipping through the streets of Brooklyn, with the driver humming "A Groovy Kind of Love," while I thought about what all had happened. Going back I think, will be an interesting expierence... I guess we'll see.

I was recently in Washington D.C. and had the opportunity to see a Robert Frank exhibit at the National Gallery of Art. It was incredible, being able to look at his working contact sheets, and working prints... See the entire "Americans" Series blown up and arranged in order. Suffice to say I'm inspired to work in 35mm b&w...



I think I'm ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment